Tuesday, October 8, 2019

Day 8 Scent

8th Oct 2019

Carrying on with the poem a day through October. 

Today's prompt is "scent".


Grass

Early May morning,
Soft new- mown downs spongy underfoot,
Shafts of yellow dancing on sea,
Cotton wool clouds dotted in blue expanse,
Slight breeze, adds salty mist
To grassy reminiscences:
I wake up in Irish cottage,
Snuggled warm in summer’s embrace,
Beside my grandmother.
Delicate, sweet smell of grass
Wafts through open window
From fields with cowpats freshly planted,
Mixes with body odour , of her-
I breathe in the perfume of a new promise,
A familiar narcotic of nurture,
Dreamlike – security, history, joy

7 comments :

  1. I enjoyed this...very heartfelt and real.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a such a feeling of healing just reading your poem. Favorite line: "a familiar narcotic of nurture" so wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jade. My grandmother always made me feel better about life.
      Interesting you use the word "healing" .

      Delete
  3. Scents to make you feel loved and cared for. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny with smells. They really spark memories with me.

      Delete
  4. Thank you. Scents ans smells always take me to people and places.
    x

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment with advice and critique.