Sunday, August 9, 2026

Ironing or Not

Someone mentioned they had a pile of ironing to get through and felt quite daunted by it, which reminded me of that day, years ago when a friend asked me for coffee.
She had a large family like me .
I told her I was sorry but I had a huge mountain of ironing to get through. Maybe another day.
When she told me she didn’t ever have a “pile” of ironing I was a bit shocked to say the least and asked her how come. She and all her family always looked well presented so I couldn’t quite understand.
What she told me next revolutionised my life.
“I wash the clothes, dry the clothes, fold the clothes and hang them up or put them in drawers. And if anything needs ironing I might do it before I put it on” 
Wow, I thought, that actually might work
And thirty years later it’s still working.
Thank you Sonia.

The following poem is sort of a reminder of before.

The Ironing


And the whole pile is slipping,
it'll end up on the floor
it'll get all dirty 
and I'll have to do more,
washing.
My husbands shirts
ten or twelve
my four son's school uniform
trousers - cotton
the girls skirts - pleated.
It's the first thing I see
when I enter the room,
this mighty monster
prophet of doom
looking at me,
goading me
daring me
I'm not going anywhere
until you make
time to get round to me
I'll keep you awake
But today I've decided
I'll not do it anymore
for all I care,
It can fall on the floor
Ah no, that's no good
Instead,
let's fold it neatly
 put it away
get rid of the bully 
yes, that's the way.
Right, clear the table
and away we go,
a pile for each person
they'll never know
And before I know it 
the jobs all done.
Now, time for a cuppa
and a currant bun


1 comment :

  1. I refuse to buy clothes which need to be ironed. Wash, dry, hang up immediately, and it usually doesn’t wrinkle anyway. Your friend was on to something genius.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment with advice and critique.