Wednesday, October 5, 2022

Club

 5th Oct 2022

This week's six sentence challenge bloghop can be found here, 

 https://girlieontheedge1.wordpress.com/  

Rules of the hop:
Write 6 Sentences. No more. No less.
Use the current week’s prompt word.
Link up at Wednesday’s post. Link goes live at 6:00 pm through Saturday late…
Spread the word and put in a good one to your fellow writers 😀

PROMPT WORD:  CLUB



Dancing  With Dad

"Come on then, you're turn now," my father  put out his hand to me and smiled, having first  made sure  Mum  was comfortable sitting with  my Aunt and my sisters, "let's see what you remember from last week."  

As my handsome dad, with his jet black hair  swirled me round the dancefloor in an attempt to teach me the waltz, homework, friendship concerns,  and all the survival stuff of school, melted away and, having looked forward eagerly to these precious moments, I now concentrated only on  the steps, while  dad whispered , "one, two, three," over and over in my ear.  

Every Sunday evening we joined other Parishioners, mostly Irish, like one big family,  at the Hay Lane Catholic Club, which was packed to the rafters and where, I'm convinced more Guinness  was drunk here than in Dublin itself.  Proud to be dancing with my dad, and  striving as I was  to be as brilliant with him as mum was,  the two of us meanwhile  laughed together and enjoyed ourselves so much that the good feeling of everything being right with the world seemed to  seep into my bones. 

 Dad died  six years ago, and it was many years  before that I'd  last danced with him,  but these memories, rather than fading, seem to be as clear to me now as back then - when I trod on his toes,  when he patiently and kindly waited for me to learn, when he let me have some of his Guinness, when we'd finally danced the whole song without me making any mistakes and he lifted me up and kissed my forehead, and if I close my eyes and breathe deeply I can  smell the  beer, the smoke, the sweat of that lost time.  

Though things didn't stay that  good between us,  much as  I  wished they would, and though I'm sad that I didn't make more of an effort to be closer to him, I am , nevertheless, so grateful and thank God for these fond memories of a happier time. 



21 comments :

  1. What a blessing such good memories are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. True words describing the only true baggage we carry during our journey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a lovimg tribute to your father and the good time lost.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is good to have such positive memories of one's father.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Frank, though there is a bit of fiction involved

      Delete
  5. Wonderfully told. I was there with you, watching the spontaneity and fun of you and your dad dancing, I was sitting quietly in the corner enjoying a Guiness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh thank you, Leonard. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

      Delete
  6. What beautiful memories, shared here with such love! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful story. These kinds of memories are special.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Replies
    1. Thank you. I enjoyed the writing and the remembering.

      Delete
  9. Regrets but happy memories too and it's those that matter. A touching tale indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Keith. All memories are good. It's what's brought us to where we are. Life's lessons. Memory is a strange thing though, not often to be trusted.

      Delete
  10. A beautiful and real slice of life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. A tiny window into a nostalgic moment , for sure.

      Delete
  11. Life takes many turns. We sometimes lose the closeness we once had with those we love. If we can carry and treasure the good memories, then perhaps one day they'll have the power to temper the ones that aren't so good.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment with advice and critique.