Tuesday, October 24, 2023

All over the floor

2nd October 2023

 

All Over the Floor

All over the floor,

From one side of the room 

to the other, 

strewn haphazardly,

lay little mounds of clothes.

She sits in the midst,

her hand reaches for  

a purple jumper,

a tear falls 

and she breathes out 

a slow sigh.

As she always did, 

with black bags that 

were left on her doorstep,

she'd tipped  them out 

all over the floor. 

It was something she always 

felt excited about. 

What would she find

among the clothes, the brick o back, the books.?

Always something she needed, 

for the children or the house. 

But always, too, an unexpected 

treasure.

Like the time,

it was near Christmas

when there was a pair of 

burgandy coloured patent shoes,

the sort you'd go out dancing in, 

the sort she loved but 

couldn't buy for herself,

the sort she could now wear to the 

Christmas party with their friends.


4 comments :

  1. I'm delighted you are posting again.

    I've known the joy of a bag of hand-me-down clothes when there was no way I could buy any. Sometimes, you do hit the jackpot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mimi. Though this post is a work in progress and a little agreement ( almost a promise, if you like) between me and a grandaughter that we hope will motivate us to write.

      Delete
  2. YES! I received a bag like that, I had fun going through the items. It made me feel good that the woman who gave that bag to me actually thought of me. Peace and blessings to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you dear Quiet Spirit ( wish you'd share your name), but it's not quite finished yet. God bless you. xxx

      Delete

Please feel free to comment with advice and critique.