Monday, April 19, 2021

Listening

 19th April 2021

Continuing to attempt NaPoWriMo. 

 here's my response 

to the  prompt to write a poem in answer

 to one of the "chpaters from Susan G.

 Wooldridge’s Poemcrazy: Freeing Your Life with Words" 

 I  chose - "listening to ourselves" 


How are You?

How are you? 

                                          A simple greeting,                           SIMPLE

most of us use it.

What does it mean? 

Is it really asking 

the question, 

                                            or is it code                                  CODE

to be deciphered.

Does it require 

an answer?

The Irish will say,

expecting it 

                                                 mirrored back,                               MIRROR

"How'r ya..." 

which , translated,

means, hello, hi there, or good day.

So often, "how are you?"

is short for,

                                             hello, nice to see you,                      HELLO           

but please don't 

actually tell me,

I don't want to know,

 how you are,

I haven't got time 

to listen to you today. 

But occasionally,

with upspeak tone,

and a soft pause,

 we hear the question 

                                                   and know someone                             ANYONE?

 will listen.


Seriously though,

tell me now, 

I've plenty

                                 of time,                        TIME

How are you? 


8 comments :

  1. I'm wonderful fine this Monday morning. I'm visiting my blogging buddies (you're one of them) and having my coffee. The sun is shining and hubby and I have lots of errands to run today. We're together so it makes them far easier.

    How are you today?

    Have a fabulous day and week. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your visit and your kind comment Sandee.

      gramswisewords.blogspot.com

      Delete
  2. In the UK when we're introduced to someone formally we shake hands and say, "How do you do?". The other person responds, "How do you do?"

    So there you are. How do you do?

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, all I can say is , you must walk in different circles to me if the people you associate with say "how do you do?" Very formal indeed and reserved for the upper classes, I dare say.
      I do have vague memories of my father using the term back in the sixties.

      gramswisewords.blogspot.com

      Delete
  3. Hello! How are you?
    I'm guilty of doing this too
    though if someone were to take the cue and answer, I'm most certain I'd listen too!
    Thank you Marian for visiting my blog. It led me to yours. And this reminder to be more conscious was perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm fine, thanks Smitha. Hope your writing is going well. I think we all need to be a bit more conscious about listening to others and do it actively. active listening...

      Delete
  4. When i ask the question, i really do want to know. After all, how can i know what to pray about if you don't tell me what's up in your life?

    Right now, i am home from work and a bit tired, trying to catch up on blogs.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment with advice and critique.