Monday, April 10, 2017

In Praise Of Sound.

10th April 

Unfortunately I'm still a day behind.  Hopefully I'll get two poems written today .
So the first one, for yesterday :

9th April :
For a few months I have been troubled with poor hearing. It was probably wax and has since cleared up - well almost. Whilst not being able to hear that well I discovered how much I value ( or should value) that particular sense.

In Praise Of Sound

It occurs to me to be thankful 
That I can hear those sounds.
The voice of my husband,
A whisper,
"Are you awake?"
Delicate song of birds greeting 
The day.
Welcome sound of water running 
In the kitchen,
Kettle boiling,
Cups clattering, 
Soft steps on the stair,
When he  brings the tray
With morning tea.

Buzz of a bee circling the garden,
Water bubbling in pond 
Disturbed by fish.
Engine of aeroplane 
In distant blue.
Revving of neighbours car
Like clockwork.
Fluttering sound of trees 
Rustling in the breeze.
Screams of joy from children 
Two garden down.
And the doorbell ringing
Calling me urgently 
To come and answer 

For all the above 
And much, much, more,
I am so thankful









1 comment :

  1. I am still catching up on last week's writings, then hope to catch up with the A-Z posts as well! This post was very meaningful to me. I have a hearing loss and have worn expensive hearing aids for several years now. Without them my world is very muffled and I felt isolated in groups of people. Now I can hear most sounds and I realized immediately what I'd been missing... birds, rain, my cats meowing! Even just simple sounds like crickets chirping are wonderful when you haven't heard them for awhile. I'm glad your hearing problem is clearing up! Your husband is a dear to prepare tea and bring it up to you! <3

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment with advice and critique.