Monday, March 25, 2024

The House was Full of the Scent of the Ointment

 25th March 2024


The House was Full of the Scent of the Ointment

"...Mary brought in a pound of very costly ointment, pure nard, and with it anointed the feet of Jesus, wiping them with her hair; the house was full of the scent of the ointment..."



These words from the Gospel today made me think. Mary's gesture was most extravagant in that the ointment was so precious. She used so much of it that the whole house was drenched in the sweet perfume. Judas would question the reasonableness of spending all that  money. 

I am struck by her generosity and her love. Of course her generosity is born out of her great love. I am reminded of Mother Teresa saying "Give until it hurts and then,  give some more." Like Judas, I question the Wisdom of giving too much. I calculate what I should give, how I should give, when I should give. Where is the Love in that?  And as I quibble about being asked for more, I find that I'm in a quagmire of grime and stench that stops me moving forward, that keeps be bound to myself.

Lord help me, during these days of Holy Week,  to be like Mary, to Love you more, to give without counting the cost. Help me Lord to fill my house with the sweet aroma from the ointment of  self giving, so that I can  rise with You at Easter  into the Light of Your Love.

 

2 comments :

  1. He tells me to give, I do, and leave "where's it supposed to come from" in His hands.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment with advice and critique.