Sunday, January 17, 2021

Yes, I'm Thankful

 17th January 2021.

Yes, I'm Thankful

This morning, while wasting time looking at Facebook, I came  across, Astrid's Ten Things of Thankful, which she had difficulty posting on the link. Reading it brought to mind that, although I haven't recently expressed it, I am, myself,  thankful for many things. Yes, there are many blessings in my life. So, here are some.

1. For life itself,  every breath that I take, reminding me that my death will come soon enough, but just now I have some more living to do and I'd better get on with it.  I thank God that for bringing more life into the world through me. I'm thankful that my dear husband was part of that. All those beautiful souls who are our children and grandchildren. 

2. My birthday this week, even in Lockdown was a lovely celebration. I'm thankful for family and friends that made me feel special. A family zoom party with my grandchildren reading favourite poems and bringing news, one even baking a cake, but eating it herself because she can't visit, all brought tears to my eyes - in a good way. A friend who dropped in flowers, another who delivered a bottle of Baileys, a daughter who brought plants and a bottle of Riocca, a son who got me a bar of chocolate,  multiple phone messages, singing in the Writers Hour zoom session and again at Open Mic- so much love out there for me. Incredible.

3. I'm thankful that I've written so much of the memoir. Editing now. It'll take a while but, most things are on the page. I never thought I'd get this far. Hopefully , it will actually get finished. 

4. And for finding and working with The London Writers Salon I am hugely thankful. Writing with the group everyday has given me purpose during this time of Pandemic. Doing the Artists Way with some fellow writes from the Writers Hour has been life changing in many ways, giving me especially the courage to own, use and be proud of my own words. It's been a brilliant journey and I've made wonderful friendships, that I hope to keep. 



5. For the wonderful privilege of living by the coast, with chances to listen to the sound of waves, rhythmically performing their work hour after hour, day after day, never the same, creating stories , pictures, building dreams . Listening, you will hear of distant shores, every drop in the ocean with it's tale to tale as it makes it's way around the earth.  Coming away, behind the coastguard hut, the sudden silence embraces you. Silence has many shapes . Sometimes, it's rocky and hard and You might try to avoid it, another time it's soft, comfortable and you want to hug it. But the silence behind the shed is surprising in it's empty vastness.

6. I'm thankful  for my new pile of books. Not easy to spend the money on me, courage was needed and called on and came . I now have seven books waiting . Better than having no books to look forward to. At any time now, I'll be able to find something to keep me occupied. Love my books. Maybe I am a booky  type after all.

7. I'm thankful for my fountain pen, which I love and which I have found a new cartridge convertor for. Are you thinking what is a cartridge convertor? I had the same thought. But it's quite magical. Instead of buying cartridges, now I will have a bottle of ink and fill up the convertor. Much more efficient - apparently. I'll let you know on that one.

8. And for feeling that there is hope. Yes, I am thankful that I can see hope for a different future. But hope is of the moment and I don't look to far ahead. Each hour, each day brings it's own dose of hope and I grab it ride with it.

9. This week I cleaned the bathrooms. They are both shiny and clean, which makes me happy. And when the bathrooms are clean it means I'm avoiding some other work I need to get on with. It's good to be under pressure sometimes. At least the housework gets done.

10. And have I said it already , that words can't contain the thankfulness I have for my hubby and all my family. A gift indeed, a blessing.

Well I didn't think I'd get to ten things, but there you go.  

    


10 comments :

  1. So glad you decided to join us this week at TToT. Happy Birthday! It sounds like you had a wonderful celebration. Congratulations on writing the memoir. It is such a good feeling to write the stories of one's life, if for no other reason than for your own family and descendants to have your thoughts and memories in writing.
    When I was taking shorthand classes in high school and college, we were encouraged to use a fountain pen because it was faster and smoother to write shorthand using that kind of a pen. I also used one in a business advertisement or business design class. I forget the exact name of the class now, but one of the units required learning how to write calligraphy and we had to use a fountain pen with different nibs. I have used the pens by dipping the nib into the bottle of ink as well as later using the pens that had the cartridges. Your post brought back memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your thoughtful response Pat.
      I love writing with my Waterman Fountain pen. My dad used to buy me parker fountain pens when I was at school. He loved to write with a "good" pen. But he didn't write, only letters to family and friends . I often think how I'd enjoy his memoir, but he never wrote one. And why didn't I ask him those questions that were waiting within me. So much I don't know.. Too late now. I think that's what prompted me to write my own.

      Delete
  2. Wishing you many happy returns of the day, and i am so glad you joined the Ten Things hop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I love the way you never miss commenting on my posts. You are a friendly cheerleader and a great fan.

      Delete
  3. I am delighted that you joined us at the Ten Things of Thankful. See, it's not hard to come up with 10 things, is it? I hope the fountain pen cartridge converter works well for you. I see myself making a big, inky mess if I tried something like that! We used to live on the California coast, a block and a half from the beach. At night, we could hear the waves crashing if we had our windows open (which we usually always did). Such a soothing sound!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dyanne. It's not hard to come up with ten things if I'm not trying, but as soon as I "Have " to, somehow, I am lost for even three or four. And also I'd like it to be an interesting ten things. I love my Waterman pen - Very expensive, a present. It was stuck at the bottom of a box in the loft, waiting for that special time. Well, I decided that everyday is that time. I love it. Every time I write with it , I feel special.

      Delete

Please feel free to comment with advice and critique.