Google+ Followers

Thursday, July 7, 2016

Brave Buddleia



4th July 2016

Time seems to be marching on at great speed and we are now in July. This last thirteen months has passed in a rather fuzzy blur. That's not to say the next thirteen will be any different . But will I have changed? Will things be the same or ...

buddleia: Buddleia flowering bush

But there is hope.

A few weeks ago I was lucky enough to acquire a buddleia plant through freecycle:

Brave Buddleia

We eventually find the house,
Hidden a little off the busy main road.
Eagerly, expectantly I walk up the path,
Through a wonderland full of colour and joy.
The door opens - here it is, she points...
My balmy balloon bursts,
Oh well, got to take it now,
Maybe the pot will make a home for a 
Better specimen, yes, that's it.
We drive home - silently.
We look at our new find,
Pot bound, dry, dreary,
Leaves brown edged.
A sorry sight.
But, let's at least give it a chance, we say.
We dig a large hole - plenty of room to grow,
If it wants.
We drench the earth.
Next I loosen the roots,
Tubers grown in on themselves,
So much pulling, pinching, prizing apart, 
Might I kill it off?
Now,  place in hollow with care. 
And water, 
And water, 
And water.
Give it a few weeks to settle 
Then look on in wonder 
Green, bright,
Even flowering,
Our brave, beautiful Buddleia.

Sometimes I feel a bit like my buddleia plant - constrained, dying for want of the right goodness.
But plant me in the best place, give me nourishment and encouragement and a lot of love and I will blossom with happiness- well, we all will...









2 comments :

carol l mckenna said...

Creative post and photo ~ so informative ~ thanks for coming by ~ ^_^

Happy Weekend to you ~ ^_^

Phil Slade said...

Your buddleia is further on than our own. All we need now is butterflies - strangely scarce so far this year.