Monday, July 18, 2016

Mother and baby .



YES!! he's here at last !!!
We have a new great grandson.
I'll write about him soon
For now just pondering


18th July 2016
Today I wait  for news of the birth of second  great grandchild. 
I came across this picture which I took when at an exhibition at the Mall Galleries in London last year.  It was my favourite piece in that particular show 




Mother and Baby

You draw me close
You invite me to hear your story
I step near for a clearer look
Your head inclined to the side
In an act of pure nurture
Arms embracing, enveloping, 
Protecting
The whole of your body 
Searching for hope in 
An unknown future 
Dressed half in earth brown
You appear safe
Your green/blue skirt
Colour of vast oceans 
You are found everywhere.
I want to touch your head
Or your shoulder
To signal my support
But it's not possible.
And after all, you are simply stone
But
I feel your caress as of my own mother
I peer into your eyes and 
See your tired face 
Carrying the weight 
Of the years ahead.
It belongs to us all.


4 comments :

  1. CONGRATULATIONS.

    Best wishes to you and your family.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great poem--it truly conveys all the uncertainties and the hopes of motherhood/grandmotherhood. The sculpture is beautiful, too.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment with advice and critique.